Wednesday, April 17, 2013

18° 0' 0" N / 61° 54' 0" W

Location: Antigua

We spent one night at Trade Winds Hotel.  This hotel is laid back and very rustic, it reminded me of the old fashioned road side hotels back in the day of two lane highway travel.  The food was amazing, the employees were warm and helpful and made us feel right at home.

Then we moved about a mile down the road to Grande Antigua Resort.   The beach was fantastic, as you have seen.  Miles of the softest sand I've ever stepped upon.  All of the employees were fantastic, super friendly and welcoming.  Due to all of my food allergies, I was having some issue finding food that was safe for me to eat.  One of the front desk ladies overheard me and made me an appointment with the chief at the OK Corral.  He wrote down everything that I'm allergic to and then made me a special meal!  It was the best meal I've had, maybe ever had!  The next night we ate at Kimono's and they cooked my salmon and beef before the chicken and shrimp!  Talk about service, wow.

However.....it felt as if we were on a cruise ship.  The minute we stepped foot on Sandals it no longer felt like we were on Antigua.  The resort is beautiful, well maintained, the food was good, but it felt removed from reality in some way.

We are currently at Nonsuch Bay Resort.  It's quite remote, after leaving Freetown its about 5 miles down a gravel road.  There is little to do here, so the relaxation factor is extreme.  We had hoped to do zipline (TH only) and then a snorkel/kayak trip, both of which were canceled due to my allergy episode that is still kicking my butt.

We love this island, love it!  Friday is coming way to soon for both of us.

5 comments:

  1. So now we know where this beautiful place is. Thanks for sharing all of those beautiful pics the past few days and I hope you have a safe trip back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very nice, and I've heard that about Sandals before.
    It is nice, though, when restaurants and such accommodate special food requests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're having a good time, allergy episode aside! Really cool that the chef looked out for you, and made special food! That's awesome, and I'd guess pretty rare.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very glad to hear that you are having such a good time, short of the allergy episode. It is really cool that the chef made a special meal for you.
    PS thanks for sharing all those wonderful pictures with us.

    ReplyDelete