Saturday, July 16, 2011

What a week this will be!

Howdy all!

So this is the run up week to 3rd son's wedding, and what a week this should prove to be.  Yesterday in a moment of mental clarity I decided what i needed was a to-do list broken up into days.  After working on my schedule, and my list of things to buy, my mountain of responsibilities seems even larger.  Silly me, I thought the writing of the list, would reduce my trepidation about the coming week, but nope!  I had to keep coming back to add stuff to my list, sigh....

My skirt is finished, except for hemming.  Next up is the top.  And i still need something to wear for the bridal shower.  The invitation stated to come in a summer dress.  So, I guess I'll have to whip one of those up as well.  I have a half done t-shirt that I didnt like how it fit, and some fabric that after I got it home I didnt like.  Surprisingly the two go well together, and it shouldnt take long to morph the items into a quick dress.  Gah!  I cant believe I have to wear two different dresses, within the space of 3 days!!!

I need to finish up the sewing by Monday at the latest.  That way I can be clear for the big push towards the groom's supper.  Now where I grew up, if there were loads of people traveling for a wedding the rehearsal dinner was changed to a groom's supper and the out of town guests were invited.   What with the bridal party and out of town guests we are looking at close to 50 people.  The groom's family are in charge of the rehearsal dinner.  3rd son and wife to be want a barbeque which is fine fine by me.  But lordy lordy that's a load of food to have to prepare!  If you are wondering why I just dont buy the food ready made, its because silly me is allergic to fake food ingredients.  So all of those ingredients that read like a chemistry experiment is what makes me ill.  I would like to be able to eat more than just a burger and chips, ya know?

Here's the menu:
burgers, hot dogs, chicken breast fillets in teriyaki sauce, cole slaw, potato salad, broccoli salad, chips, and cookies for dessert.  I'm making chocolate chip, peanut butter cookies, and washboard cookies.


Last week I purchased my first food processor and took it out for a test spin.  Made cole slaw, and damn if it didnt take me longer to peel the carrots and core the cabbage!  Trying to decide on if i should just buy potato salad, or make it. I decided to experiment with the cooking of the potatoes, because honestly thats the time intensive part.  I filled my bamboo steamer with the cut potatoes and steamed them for 20 minutes.  The texture was perfect, and it was almost effortless.  No mucking about with large vats of water, filling waiting for it to heat, boiling, draining, refilling vat....etc etc etc.  All that will need to be done is to top off the water in the skillet between batches and toss the cooked potatoes out, and toss the raw ones in.

Wednesday is cookie day.  Also up is cooking all the bacon that goes into broccoli salad, which will ease up...
Thursday....ahh sweet sweet Thursday.  Cole slaw, broccoli salad, and potato salad.  And for an extra special kick, the bridal shower.  I'm trying to keep an open mind about the shower.  But I usually dont fit in well at these functions.  Hopefully after a bit I can ignore my dress and relax.  I'd like to enjoy this shower, so am trying to stay positive about it all.
 Friday will be a day of last minute darting about.  The rehearsal is at 4 pm.  Then on to the barbeque.
 Saturday afternoon is the wedding.
Sunday will find us used up, wore out and much much poorer.  The dinner at after the wedding was paid for by us, and for the prices per person I'm not sure why we arent eating larks tongues off of gold plates.  But whatever, its only money.

Ok, until next week
bye!

update:  a loyal reader wanted to know what washboard cookies are.  they are very simple to make, but have a complex flavor thing going on.  how that works im not sure, but they are tasty!

 Washboard Cookies
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg  
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon hot water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups flour


Milx butter, brown sugar and egg.  Stir together soda and water, add to egg mixture.  Add flour and mix well.  Shape into balls.  Place on greased cookie sheets, flatten with fork both ways (thats how the cookies got their name)  Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds INTENSE!!! But I've been there, done that...and having a list and schedule helps sooo much!

    Can't wait for the pictures!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have asked about washboard cookies if someone else hadn't.

    Er, yes well. I think you've taken on far too much - but then, it's traditional for one 'mum' or the other to offer to do much more than he should!

    But after all the shouting has died down, you're not going to be totally 'fem' at this do, are you?

    And you won't really mind about our 'gay marriage' demo outside? Are you sure?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite some list! I hope all goes well this week. You deserve to have some happiness after what happened to you recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plans sound great but an enormous amount of effort on your part. I hope everything works out well and you survive it all in good shape.

    You are really going all out for your son's wedding. That is very commendable and I hope he appreciates it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least it's not an Indian wedding! The food is truly one of the main foci of those weddings. And it's often a multiple day event!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also start make to-do lists when I feel my tasks are piling up. It doesn't make stuff go away, but at least I can see some structure in what I need to do. And ticking items off from that list suddenly feels like an achievement in itself. Every time. Talk about self-deceit, eh?

    Have fun with the wedding!

    Love
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete