Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Divide and Conquer, Colorfully!

I have the guide books!


Scanned a few of them, but as to actually read them cover to cover, no.  And then it dawned on me.  We are planning a 3 month trip to a foreign country and this can't be done in a fly by night fashion.  So far the only large scale planning finished, is that we will be based out of Kyoto for a month.  There is so much to see and do just in Kyoto, and the surrounding areas that are perfect for day trips by train or bus. 

Ok, time to knuckle down and see what else there is to do.  Sigh....the last few times I've had a guide book, it quickly went from nice clean white pages to a sea of yellow highlighter, which really wasn't all that helpful.

And then TA-DA!  A brainwave of epic size hit!  Highlight all things important, but with different colors and corresponding page tabs.


green is used for general info, I don't have any tabs for this color, but anything super important will have an entry page in our notebook.

blue is used for temples and historic sites and its tab is at the top

yellow is for gardens and forests, its tabs are also at the top

pink is museums, its tabs are on the side

orange is entertainment, tours, notable eateries, its tabs are also on the side

Having this system in place, I've read more in 3 days than I have in a month.  It allows me to break the material into easily found categories later when we are in Japan.
By living in rental apartments, eating most meals at home, and packing me a bento (lunchbox) when we will be out for the day is going to save us a giant pile of money.  I've checked into prices at the grocery store and its not that much more than Hawaii.  By not eating much western food, and eating a rice based diet, will really help keep our food budget in the black.  The only thing TH will hate about it is how expensive beef is, but he does enjoy fish and pork both of which are cheaper.

We have a few food splurges planned.  I want him to eat at a good sushi restaurant and we both want to try Kobe beef.  Kyoto is renowned for their delicate tofu, and I can't wait to give it a try!  I've found a restaurant that is famous for their tofu.  So that night, hubby will go and eat sushi and I'll go and gorge on tofu.

I have to say, one of my biggest griefs about these stupid food allergies and sensitivities is my inability to eat out when we travel.  The best way to learn a culture is by eating it. 

And now, off to study!





2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the reading up! I've always found that my best travels outside of SoCal are when I plan most things. When is the trip again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. paint the pages in rainbow colors! how exciting to be going and staying in japan!

    ReplyDelete