Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Curry Crazed Me

Curry.....the very name conjures up bowls of spicy seductive delightfulness.  The country of origin doenst matter, all curries are welcome in my bowl.  I'm not alone in my obsession with curry either.  There is a Japanese manga "Addicted to Curry" there is an interesting story line and each volume has at least one curry recipe.  After a few volumes the story line became stale and I stopped reading it, but some of the curry recipes sounded so tasty I wanted to try them.  To do so I need to buy a scale and find some japanese measuring spoons and whatnot as when they translated this manga they didnt translate the recipes, except for the ingredients.  I read this manga online, translated by students learning either english or japanese, and they didnt want to convert the recipes, not that I blame them!



I tend to eat Indian curry out, so far I havent attempted to make it.  Hmm, note to self, get Indian cookbook an attempt their curry!  I make Thai curry at home all the time, however I do use the "cheat" of using the curry jar.  Thai curry is a hurry up dinner for me.

After I got back from my big Twin Cities trip, the hankering for some Japanese curry became to much to deal with.  Back in the days when our Japanese daughter-in-law and son lived with us, she made curry often, but used the curry blocks for the thickening and flavoring.



It was good, and I have access to the blocks here, but for some reason wanted to tackle it from scratch.  Japanese curry is more of a stew than a traditional curry, but mega tasty!  After a visit to my go to japanese food site, and a trip to 3 stores to get everything that I needed the next day was curry day!

Started with sweating 6 large onions, and ended with stirring the roux into the mix, total time?  Hmm, give or take about 4 hours.  I modified the recipe a bit by adding in 2 dried chili pods, as japanese curry is quite mild, heat wise and I wanted a bite to mine.   The next afternoon I came home from the library and was shocked that the house smelled so strongly of curry!  I sure hope my neighbors couldnt smell it!

My freezer is home to 5 containers of curry gold, just there waiting for me to gobble it up!




5 comments:

  1. I am a sucker for curry, and both Carlos and I use it a lot in our cooking, though I like my curry like I like my men, hot and spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know absolutely nothing about curry but I found this fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just quintupled my knowledge of curry! But I've tried it several times, and while it's your go to food, I tend to go away from it...I do love Mexican, though! Good Mexican, made by Mexicans or made from scratch by me with Mexican ingredients!

    Cool post, though, Biki, even if you'll never have to worry about me sneaking curry out of yoru freezer! HAHAHAHAHAHA

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy I really should find some more curry recipes as I only know one but I like it. I can't smell very much so it dose not bother me if things smell strongly (although I do like the smell of the recipe that I know)

    ReplyDelete