Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Two Quick and Easy Summer Recipes

I'll admit it, I'm a veggie-holic always stuffing veggies into any recipe possible.  One of my notable failures was the addition of grated cabbage into spaghetti sauce, the kids hated it.  But this one doubles the usage from a few heads of broccoli.  One head of broccoli, two completely different uses.  Use the florets in your favorite broccoli recipes, just remember that there is only the tender bits left, they will cook much quicker than usual.  Just guess how I know this!  ;-p

Quick Pickled Broccoli Stems
Cut the florets off and set aside, they wont be needed for this recipe.  With a paring knife, trim off any tough skin on the stems, or you can use a peeler.

Slice rather thinly 2 cups of broccoli stems.  Now, I just sliced them on the round, but they can be sliced length wise and then cut into smaller bites.  I like the festive look the irregularly shaped stems have.


This is how I measured them, as you can see there is empty space, thats ok, this is loose recipe, exact doesnt matter here.


Whisk this together into a glass bowl:
3/4 cup rice wine vinegar  (you could also use apple cider vinegar, but I wanted a more neutral         vinegar flavor)
3 tablespoons sugar ( or more to taste, these are very tart, so amp up the sugar if you wish)
1 tablespoon kosher salt ( if you only have table salt, start with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and add up)
1 large garlic clove, minced or grated
1/8 - 1/4 red pepper flakes (or not, if you dont enjoy spicy foods, leave out)

Stir in the stems, mix well.  Place a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the broccoli, making sure all the stems are submerged.  Chill for at least 3 hours, eat within 2-3 days. 



Salmon Pancakes

This tasty dish can also be made with tuna or chicken, just be aware that the can of salmon I used is 7oz.  Carefully drain out all the liquid before dropping into the mixing bowl, if any puddles appear in the bottom of the bowl, blot out with a paper towel.  Flake well with a fork and then mix in:

1/3 minced onion
If the onion has a really aggressive rank odor, place into a small bowl and cover with boiling water, let sit for about 3-4 minutes, drain well.  This should tame it while allowing it to keep its crispiness.
1 large clove minced or grated garlic
2 eggs
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1-2 teaspoons sesame oil ( this is optional )
salt and pepper to taste

Mix well, until the flour and egg are well mixed in, the batter will be on the loose side.  In a nonstick skillet or griddle, 1-2 tablespoons neutral flavored oil.  Heat over medium high heat.  Place large spoonfuls of batter into skillet.  These can be made fairly small, or larger so that you get between 5-6 pancakes per recipe.  Shape into rounded shapes with spoon.

Cook until they are firm enough to flip, around 3-6 minutes depending on your stove and pan. See how the edges are setting up?  These are nearly ready to flip.  I flipped one early to show that its not quite brown enough yet.



 Flip and cook until browned on both sides. Cool if desired on paper toweling, to prevent sogginess.


Want a good dipping sauce on the fly?  Mix 3 tablespoons maple syrup (NOT pancake syrup) and 1 tablespoon soy sauce.  You may add minced or grated ginger or a dash of ground red pepper, or black pepper, etc.......








4 comments:

  1. It's 7AM here and you've already got me thinking about dinner!


    I haven't even had breakfast yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY! These both look GREAT! And I've got the broccoli to use. I do salmon a little differently, but I gotta try this recipe, too. I'm so happy Friday is grocery day, I can pick up anything I don't have now.
    Thanks!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gonna' have to try the broccoli, that sounds so good! My only problem is that my kids eat the raw stems plain as fast as I can cut them. Would the grocer think I was a wierdo if I went in and asked if I could just but stalks?

    ReplyDelete